Friday 31 August 2012

Kyle's List...

And now to finish off we have K Bargie's Top 10 Films list.  You can follow him direct on Twitter (@k_bargie).  He's regularly getting reviews publish thanks to www.whitecoffeemagazine.com and has articles published on www.staticmass.net.  Enjoy the list!

10. Bride of Frankenstein (James Whale, 1935)
I was introduced to the classic horror films of the '30s by my grandparents and they've stuck with me ever since I was little.  I loved Frankenstein (James Whale, 1931) but every time I watch this superior sequel I get more from it.  Expertly directed, acted and the score is one of the best ever recorded.  A true gem and prime example of the genius of cinema.

9. The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)
This terrified me when I first saw.  The special effects were so gruesome that I just couldn't shake the visceral impact it had on me.  The more I watched it the more I got from the fantastic performances, the solid script and the flawless direction.  I think I embraced this more because it was reviled at the time of its release.  Carpenter considers this as his greatest filmmaking effort.  He's not wrong.  It is one of the greatest films ever made.

8. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (David Lynch, 1992)
Huge fan of the show and when I got round to watching the film I was stumped.  It is an enigmatic work, almost as mysterious as Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) which I will admit to being a better film.  However, every time I watch this I'm fascinated by it.  I'm repulsed, humoured and most of all mystified.  It is Lynch's most imaginative work.  He blends different worlds, planes of existence to show the dark, troubling tale of Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee) as she battles her demons, both internal and literal in the form of BOB (Frank Silva), one of cinema's truly underrated villains.  A flawed but deeply interesting film.

7. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)
A beautiful, gothic masterpiece.  Toro hit all the right notes that he's been exploring over his career and developed them into his greatest work.  A devastating portrait of a troubled girl's imagination.  Set during the Spanish Civil War, Toro weaves grim reality with gorgeous, imaginative sequences that are truly suspenseful to watch.

6. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese, 1990)
Scorsese, at his peak, transformed cinema and became an influence on filmmakers for decades.  This work stands out as he began to change his style.  He's always been a referential filmmaker, particularly taking shots and techniques from European directors.  Here he blends it all, manages to break all the rules and gives us a true cinematic masterpiece.

5. Crimes and Misdemeanors (Woody Allen, 1989)
Woody Allen is one of the most prolific filmmakers of all time.  With a career spanning over 40 years, he's had his hits and misses.  I could've picked the truly hilarious and brilliant Annie Hall or the bitter-sweet Manhattan but this blends the best of his drama with his best comedy.  Martin Landau as the guilt-ridden lead is one of the greatest performances ever committed to the screen.

4. Dawn of the Dead (George A. Romero, 1978)
Night of the Living Dead is one of the greatest films ever made.  It transformed the horror genre and gave inspiration for aspiring filmmakers that they could make their own, well-made films.  How did he top it?  He made this.  A gore layered feast with social commentary that, at times is hilarious, harrowing, gruesome and playful.  It is an epic and still the greatest Zombie film ever made.

3. Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999)
Pretentious, epic, fascinating and brilliant.  Magnolia is what Anderson considers to be his true masterpiece.  He wasn't far-off.  He managed to get everyone involved to give their absolute best.  The performances are flawless, particularly Tom Cruise.  The direction is superb, echoing Scorsese and Robert Altman.  The soundtrack is brilliant and it's one of the best scripts ever written.

2. Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)
I'm aware I've got two Lynch films in this list but he really is one of the best directors ever.  He breaks the rules, reinvents narrative and completely reverses any expectations you have about the characters of  this film.  A deeply mysterious film where as soon as you think you've got it figured out, the rug is pulled from beneath you.  It might take me the rest of my life to figure it all out but I'm going to keep watching it.

1. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
I haven't stopped thinking about this film since I first saw.  It is an incredible piece of work.  Anderson moved away from his multi-character narratives for something much more grander in a classical sense.  Daniel Day-Lewis playing the deeply disturbed Daniel Plainview is one of the greatest performances I have ever seen.  He's intimidating, at times over-the-top and, most of all, terrifying.  He has a true heart of darkness.  This broke all the rules.  We're given a protagonist who is more like a villain.  We've barely got anyone to root for.  Paul Dano as the greedy, demented preacher Eli Sunday holds his own.  He's just as deranged as Plainview and watching them develop a rivalry is simply superb.  The script challenges any notions of a conventional narrative and Anderson was able to create sequences, such as the now infamous 'Milkshake' scene, that is now part of popular culture.  The ending was even parodied in South Park!  A true masterpiece and my personal favourite of all-time.


No comments:

Post a Comment